The DataSense team at iSocial is recruiting a Research Associate, who will be interested in pursuing an intellectually challenging and impactful career in academic and/or action research. The position demands academic rigor, leadership, commitment, charisma and creativity.
Launched in 2016, Infolady Social Enterprise Limited (iSocial) is a for-profit social enterprise with the core idea of connecting B2B actors with the bottom of the pyramid (BoP) population with a market-based approach, as well as empowering Bangladeshi men and women to become entrepreneurs, challenging traditional gender roles. In this process, iSocial is creating evidence for action, based on state-of-the-art data analytics.
DataSense is the business intelligence and research unit at iSocial, providing various modes of research and management consulting services. With an interest in promoting BoP growth, this unit conducts systems research, policy analysis, data collection, data curation, data analytics for operations management, and empirical intelligence generation to simplify executive and policy decision-making. This has driven DataSense to become a team of professionals from various disciplines, educated and trained in Bangladesh and abroad. The research team works out of Bangladesh, the UK, and the USA.
In its journey so far, DataSense at iSocial has served national and international agencies with analytical works and data-driven policy making.
The Research Associate will support the research team to design and implement original research on DataSense’s various internal and external projects, which pertain to a broad variety of domains including governance, labour migration, digital economy, international trade, entrepreneurship, bottom of the pyramid ecosystems, etc. The responsibilities of the Research Associate will involve:
- Implementing and executing collaborative research projects, including project management, e.g. timetabling and achieving milestones.
- Participating in regular discussions with other academic partners or clients. Liaising with potential partners to enhance the impact of research.
- Conducting literature reviews and designing research based on client requirements and team goals.
- Writing journal articles and newspaper articles on agreed topics, promoting DataSense’s work.
- Creating and managing large datasets through a given software (e.g. STATA).
- Translating, transcribing, and annotating documents as and when required for research purposes.
- Preparing survey questionnaires and analysis plans.
- Managing field research including the recruitment of subjects and enumerators.
- Preparing concept notes and proposal materials for submission to granting agencies and foundations.
- Collecting and interpreting data to write analytical reports.
- Continually updating knowledge and understanding in one’s field of specialization.
- Writing blogs regularly for the DataSense website, on topics promoting DataSense’s work.
KEY REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLSET
- Quantitative Data Analysis: Household and macroeconomic data – SPSS, STATA, R, EViews, Excel.
- Qualitative Data Analysis: Qualitative and open-ended survey information – MAXQDA, FreeQDA, RQDA.
- Macroeconomic & Public Policy Knowledge: Knowledge about the macroeconomy in the context of public policy.
- Econometric Modelling: Hypothesize and test various econometric models to generate insights. Knowledge of complex systems and machine learning will be valued.
- Secondary Research: Experience in scouring data or documents from online and physical journal repositories (particularly government ministries and think tanks) for relevant data.
- Communications Skills: Ability to communicate research objectives and standard operating procedures to enumerators in the field. Superior command of both English and Bangla is critical.
- Willingness to Travel: Willingness to travel for field tests and in-person monitoring.
- Self-Starter: Fast learner who can work under stress and has an appetite for personal growth.
- Expertise in Climate Migration: Aware of climate migration and livelihoods of climate migrants.
- Knowledge about Entrepreneurship: Possess sound knowledge about entrepreneurship and the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably Master’s) in Public Policy, Economics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Development Studies, or any relevant field from a reputed university. Additional certifications, including from MOOCs, will be considered.
- Self-taught applicants are welcome to apply, given that they can demonstrate their skills.
2 years of relevant experience. However, freshers are also encouraged to apply.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Good project management skills.
- Excellent proficiency in English and Bangla. Proficiency in any third language will be an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team and good interpersonal skills.
- Good digital skills.
- Ability to work under time pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in diversified environments.
Full-time, Sunday through Thursday.
Hybrid modality (mixture of in-person and remote-based office), depending on the nature of work.
The selected candidate will be offered a competitive compensation package.
- Free lunch
- Two festival bonuses
- Travel allowances, per diem, and accommodation stipends, if and when applicable
- 41 days of cumulative annual, casual and sick leave
- Compensatory leave for working extra hours and weekends or holidays
Interested individuals are advised to apply through this link: https://ee.humanitarianresponse.info/x/ogHDkQ9p
July 26, 2023